Table of Content
WhatsApp Pay ultimate guide
The introduction of the WhatsApp Pay feature within the popular messaging app has revolutionized how people shop online. WhatsApp Pay offers a seamless payment experience that enables users to browse products and pay directly within the app.
This feature presents a golden opportunity for e-commerce stores to achieve growth and drive sales while providing a hassle-free shopping experience for customers.
In this article, we will explore the steps of integrating WhatsApp Pay and how it can help you unlock new opportunities for growth and increased revenue.
How WhatsApp Pay can benefit e-commerce stores
WhatsApp Pay is a payment feature within the WhatsApp messaging app that allows users to transfer money and make purchases without leaving the app.
Users can use it to send or receive money quickly. Using the feature is free of charge. It’s your legendary Leprechaun promising sudden wealth!
For e-commerce stores, integrating WhatsApp Pay can provide numerous benefits that help them achieve growth and increase revenue. Here’s what counts:
- WhatsApp Pay simplifies the payment process by enabling in-app purchases, reducing the risk of cart abandonment due to customers switching to a separate payment platform or being put off by long checkout processes.
- In-app payments offered by your e-commerce store provide increased convenience and accessibility to customers, particularly on mobile devices, improving satisfaction and repeat business.
- Your e-commerce store can tap into WhatsApp's massive user base of over 2 billion active users worldwide, expanding your customer reach and attracting new audiences previously unaware of your brand.
- WhatsApp Pay provides an additional layer of security through end-to-end encryption, safeguarding transactions against fraud and unauthorized access, making it an ideal solution for online payments. Also, neither Meta nor WhatsApp has access to customers’ data as the transactions are processed by the banks holding and handling these data already.
The integration will help your store stay ahead of the competition. Do you have to pay for WhatsApp? It’s free for users but not free for e-commerce owners. You will have to pay a 3.99% fee per transaction.
Take a leap of faith and keep reading to learn how it works.
WhatsApp Pay process and limitations in Brazil and India
WhatsApp Pay is only available in India and Brazil. It might take a little longer to roll out in the rest of the world since the pilot countries' implementation was delayed to prepare the necessary infrastructure.
The chat displays the status of a transaction, whether it is Completed, In Process, or Failed. WhatsApp Business App users can access their transaction history by going to Settings. If a transaction fails, the funds are returned within 24 hours.
If a refund is necessary, it can be processed through the bank dashboard. In case businesses encounter any problems, WhatsApp provides 24/7 support.
Transfers take around two business days to be processed, so you must adjust your delivery plans accordingly.
Facebook Pay powers WhatsApp Pay in Brazil, and Cielo, the leading payment system company in Latin America, handles the processing. This enables direct transfer of funds between two bank accounts in the country.
WhatsApp Pay in Brazil only supports transactions made with debit or credit cards issued by certain Brazilian banks. To use the service, users need a valid CPF (Cadastro de Pessoas Físicas), a Brazilian tax identification number.
The official Brazilian banks partnering with WhatsApp are listed on the WhatsApp help center. Check them out here.
The Payment feature has significant restrictions. Each user is limited to a maximum of R$1000 per transaction, with 20 transactions per day and R$5000 sent or received monthly.
WhatsApp Pay is synonymous with UPI (Unified Payments Interface) in India. WhatsApp Pay uses UPI as the underlying technology to facilitate peer-to-peer (P2P) payments and payments to merchants. It allows users to transfer money between bank accounts 24x7 without entering bank account details, IFSC code, or other traditional banking information.
WhatsApp Pay allows users to transfer money directly from their bank accounts to another person or merchant's bank account, using UPI as the payment mode. Using UPI, WhatsApp Pay makes transactions more convenient, faster, and secure. WhatsApp Pay has become one of the popular UPI payment options in India, along with other popular payment apps like Google Pay, Paytm, PhonePe, and more.
Payment partners in India include SBI, Axis Bank, HDFC Bank, and ICICI Bank.
WhatsApp Payments abides by transaction limits set by the NPCI, which oversees the UPI platform. The limits imposed on users include a maximum per transaction limit of Rs. 1 lakh, a daily transaction limit of Rs. 1 lakh, a monthly transaction limit of Rs. 20,000, and a maximum of 20 transactions per day.
How to set up WhatsApp Pay
Setting up WhatsApp Pay on your WhatsApp Business account is easy and requires zero technical knowledge. But first things first, you have to update the app and get the latest version, or otherwise, you might not find the feature available. Second, your WhatsApp phone number must be the same one you use with your bank account.
Create an account with an official WhatsApp payment partner and then follow these steps, and you will get started in no time:
- Open WhatsApp Business > More options > Orders.
- Tap Accept credit and debit cards> Continue
- Select the payment partner with whom you have an account.
- Tap Accept the terms of service and Continue.
- Enter your email or account ID to link to an existing account. Tap Link Account.
- Enter the security code to your email or phone number associated with your account.
- Confirm the account details, then tap Link Account.
- Tap Done.
To get paid on WhatsApp, you have to create orders. Here’s how it works:
- Select the paper clip icon> Order > Create order.
- You can select existing catalog items to add to the order from here.
- If you haven’t created a catalog, tap Add custom item to add a new item or service and its price. Once you’re ready, tap Add to order.
- Tap Send Order to send the finalized order to your customer.
It is possible to generate an order from a customer's shopping cart. For example, if a customer selects items from your catalog and adds them to their cart, they can send them to you to create an order.
Congratulations! You’ve unlocked the door to easy wealth! However, remember that the account v verification might take a while. Once the account is verified, you must wait three days to start receiving transactions.
Now, all you have to do is advertise the service. Let us help you with a few ideas to get started.
Strategies for leveraging WhatsApp Pay to stay ahead of the competition
With the growing popularity of e-commerce, competition among online businesses is becoming increasingly fierce. Leveraging innovative payment solutions like WhatsApp Pay can give you a competitive edge.
Here are some strategies for leveraging WhatsApp Pay to stay ahead of the competition:
- Offer exclusive promotions for WhatsApp Pay users: offering exclusive discounts or promotions for customers who use WhatsApp Pay can incentivize customers to use this payment method and help to drive sales.
- Integrate WhatsApp Pay with other platforms and services: integrating WhatsApp Pay with other platforms and services, such as inventory management systems or customer relationship management (CRM) tools, can help to streamline business operations and enhance the overall customer experience.
- Leverage WhatsApp Pay for cross-border transactions: with WhatsApp Pay, you can easily facilitate cross-border transactions, opening up new opportunities for growth and revenue. This can be particularly useful to expand your customer base beyond your domestic market. In addition, it’s the perfect solution for countries without access to other international payment options.
Join the BusinessChat Conversation
Get Our Latest News and Insights Straight to Your Inbox.